Monday, March 21, 2011

Tres Leches Cake




Since last week was my birthday I had the pleasure of making my very own birthday cake. When your a kid you always seem to get cartoon characters or some type of version of dirt cake (which just might still be my favorite cake). But when your an adult, you realize you can make any cake you want! This past summer I found out that Whole Foods makes a version of Tres Leches (seen here) that was absolutely to die for. I used to baby sit for a little mexican girl and I can remember one time there family had the same cake.  It was the first time I had tried and was hooked ever since. Well, now that I am an adult I decided it was time I start making my own traditions, and birthday cakes is a great place to start.  I used Sandra Lee's  recipe, here, and just eliminated the coconut.



~An important step - poke holes with a fork so the milks get absorbed~




2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this! Looks amazing, what kind of icing is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you should try it! You will love it. As far as the icing, are you referring to whats on top of the cake? Because that is just whipped cream, but if your talking about what I think you might be, that is just the three milks:) Hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete